I know that she's sleepy because we totally saw her yawning this morning on the ultrasound! It was approximately the most adorable thing, ever. And her little hand was up by her face! We didn't get any pictures this time (boo) but oh, it was cute. She looked like a baby instead of kind of scary and skull-like. You couldn't really tell what she looked like, of course (which is good because we can have some surprises!) but definitely baby-shaped. They're not very photogenic this late in the game, as they're all squished up. The technician tried to see if she was still a girl, but couldn't look at her bottom. She probed at my belly while trying to see, and I can tell you this--Ducky did NOT like that at ALL, so we have decided that she is a modest, shy child. Friend KP raised her eyebrows at this and said, "Really? Cause I have met your husband." There is skepticism on that shy baby thing, apparently.
As for the rest, she was declared very "content" (not sure what that means but both the tech and the doctor said it) and she scored 8/8 on a biophysical profile test. Dr. Google says that it tests breathing, movements, muscle tone, fluids, etc. She is head down but face up, which isn't the optimal position, but at least her head is still down! I believe that part can happen very late in the game anyway. Oh, and what's that you said? How did the size thing turn out?
They think she's eight pounds. Did we talk about that part where I'm 36 weeks?
Okay, I will be officially 37 weeks on Saturday (unofficially, but accurately, 37 weeks today), and the estimate can be off a pound either way. I'm measuring 38.5 weeks. They are now saying that they will not only not try to stop me if I go into labor, but they will likely want to induce in a week or two. I thought I had four weeks before induction (41) so this did not quite please me--most of my labor fears have been tied up into an induction/epidural/c-section ball. Since I talked to the doctor today, he suggested that we reschedule my next appointment for the end of next week instead of on Monday. I said that was fine, but I do have Monday off work already so it would be more convenient for me to come then, and he was fine with that. I realized afterward that it might have bought me another week of induction-free time. He mentioned that they would maybe/probably check my cervix again (sigh) at the next visit, and decide what to do based on how things measure/look then, and possibly if I'm dilated. I figure that they're less likely to want to do anything on Monday than they would be on Friday next week, so that's good. The thing is.. I am anti-induction, and in particular I am not impressed with the idea of inducing just because she is a big baby, but at the same time, if they really feel like it would be in Ducky's best interest, then fine. I just would rather not go that route.
So, in light of that, this morning's appointment sort of changed the strategy. While every day before today, we have said, "I really hope Ducky doesn't come today,"... now we are changing our minds. I'm essentially 37 weeks, which they count as full term. I know that it doesn't mean that she's necessarily mature, but I would rather her make up her mind about that than inducing her while she's possibly not ready. So, we are now hoping that something DOES happen in the next week or two before they force an induction on me, and meanwhile praying that she really is healthy like they seem to think she is.
Maybe it helps that I have been having (relatively mild, not too frequent and certainly not regular) contractions, cramping and back pain all day long. ( cut briefly for the squeamish )
Of course.. who really knows? But it's kind of exciting anyway. M is on his way home, and I told him that I really think we need to spend the evening doing anything that we think really, really should be done before we have ourselves a baby. It may be three more weeks before I end up with a baby duck, but it's beginning to have a bit of urgency to the plans.